Imagine: Your grant deadline is approaching and you know you need a strong outreach component to win over reviewers. Partner with Biofortified Consulting and we will design and implement a winning outreach strategy with you.
Science communication is increasingly important for active scientists, and may ultimately be as important as the science itself. Scientists who promote their research via social media receive more citations, and granting agencies emphasize outreach and communication when reviewing research grant proposals.
It can be difficult for some scientists to combine communication projects with established research programs. For others, outreach is an exciting opportunity but they don’t know where to begin.
We want to partner with scientists who want to start or expand science communication projects, or strengthen their research proposals with impactful outreach projects that can deliver measurable outcomes.
We help scientists develop impactful outreach projects that deliver measurable outcomes and help tell the scientists’ stories. Our services include…
- Science communication and media training, view our Side with Science project for ideas
- Multimedia presentations, blogs, photo journals, videos, comics, podcasts
- Citizen science experiments
- Social media campaigns, Twitter parties, Reddit AMAs (Ask Me Anything)
- Scientific editing for journal articles, presentations, posters
- Curricula for K-12, children’s books, plush toys that help teach about science
- Conference and special event coordination
What we do
Our mission is to enhance public discussion of biotechnology and other issues in food and agriculture through science-based resources and outreach.
As part of that mission, we provide science communication services to academics, non- profit organizations, and more. We specialize in plants and agricultural topics, including biotechnology, plant genetics, and pesticides, but we have a broad range of expertise and a network of experts.
Who we are
We are a 501(c)(3) independent nonprofit organization that has been pioneering innovative science outreach since 2008. We have experience with many different forms of media, trained scientists as communicators, and launched collaborative projects that have changed the nature of discussions about science.
Our projects include the Biofortified Blog, which receives over 60,000 visitors per month, and the innovative Genetic Engineering Risk Atlas (GENERA) which makes peer-reviewed research accessible to the public.
- Outstanding researchers
- Innovative research project
- Expert science communicators
- Choose outreach options that fit the topic, budget, target audience, and the researcher’s skill set
- ￼￼￼Develop communities of practice centered around types of outreach
- Use an iterative evaluation approach to ensure outreach can accomplish the desired impact
- Enhance collaboration within and between labs
- Train well-rounded scientists that can educate and influence policy
- With a proven outreach plan, researchers can secure additional funding from agencies that emphasize broader impacts, such as NSF, NIFA, NIH, and NOAA
- Engage an audience beyond the classroom
- Build talent in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math)
- Improve people’s lives through innovation
- Reach beyond borders
- Innovate for the future and expand human knowledge